Fifty-five years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, African Americans have made great strides and contributions to American society. As the nation observes Black History Month, take part in events planned throughout February that celebrate the past and present contributions of African Americans.
There’s something for everyone whether your preference is art, music, lively discussions or technology.
- Black History Month Kickoff - Feb. 1
The month-long celebration kicks off at 11:30 a.m. at the Stephen P. Clark Center. The Miami-Dade County Black Affairs Advisory Board's Heritage Planning Committee along with various community-based organizations has scheduled a number of events that pay homage to this year's national theme: “Black Migrations.” For more information, visit the Black Affairs Advisory Board.
- Black Tech Week - Feb. 5-9
Black Tech Week is a minority centric ecosystem building festival based in Miami. It partners with founders, corporations, and the community to create a valuable six-day national experience for investors, entrepreneurs, and techies of every kind. Buy tickets online.
- Black Heritage Festival 2019 - Feb. 23
Enjoy African fashions, dancers, food trucks, entertainment and vendors at the 6th annual Black Heritage Festival. The event begins at noon at Carol City Park. Call 305-474-3011 for more information.
- Perez Art Museum Annual Reception - Feb. 9
This celebration at Perez Art Museum Miami will offer a special three-part evening from which to choose: Cocktail + Dinner, Reveal, and Celebration.
- Participate in the Brown Bag Lunch Series at the Black Archives throughout February. Celebrate Black History Month by attending one or all of these free educational events and learn more about Miami's rich and interesting black history.
- Black History Month at Miami-Dade Public Libraries
The Miami-Dade Public Library System is celebrating Black History Month throughout February with a variety of programs and events including arts and crafts, story times, movies, author talks and more.