This Memorial Day on Monday, May 27, we remember and honor the sacrifices of men and women who served to preserve our freedom. Take a look at some activities you can enjoy during the holiday, and tips to ensure a safe Memorial Day weekend.
- Transit will be running on a Sunday schedule.
- Waste and recycling collection services and facilities will operate under normal operating hours.
- Miami-Dade County Libraries will be closed Sunday, May 26 and Monday, May 27.
- The Pet Adoption and Protection Center will be closed Monday, May 27. Cats being presented for Trap, Neuter, Return Services must be dropped off Friday, May 24 in order to allow for proper recovery from sterilization and safe return to the community prior to the holiday. Regular services will resume Tuesday, May 28.
Events and Activities
- Free admission to Deering Estate May 18 to Sept. 2
Deering Estate is participating in the 10th summer of Blue Star Museums, a program that provides free admission to active-duty military personnel and their families this summer, from May 18 to Sept. 2.
- Palmetto Bay at Deering Memorial Day Celebration May 25
Deering Estate and Village of Palmetto Bay bring you the first ever Palmetto Bay at Deering Memorial Day Celebration to honor those who gave their lives for our country. Enjoy a military parade, jazz band, tours, historic house tours/nature preserve tours, and more. The event starts at 10 a.m. Free admission for veterans, active duty military personnel and Palmetto Bay residents.
- Salute to Heroes Month April 27 - May 27
Free admission to Miami Seaquarium for veterans, police, fire, law enforcement, EMT personnel, military personnel and electric company workers. Offer available on-site only. A valid military, first responder or EMT photo I.D. is required and must be presented at the ticketing center.
- National Salute to America's Heroes Air & Sea Show May 25-26
This two-day spectacular event features powerboat races, extreme water sports, a display village including military recruiting exhibits, an action zone, a kid zone and four hours of military-might-display up in the clouds. The event starts at 10 a.m. at Lummus Park South Beach.
- Memorial Day BBQ at Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) May 27
PAMM kicks off its participation in Blue Star Museums with a Memorial Day BBQ. Enjoy live music, barbecue and refreshments on the terrace.
Traffic and Safety Tips