#PawsForReality provides information on various animal welfare topics.
Waived adoption fees save lives.
Research shows that waiving fees does not negatively impact adoptions. There are many benefits including:
- Increased number of adoptions, which allows more pets to find their fur-ever homes
- Reduces the time of the pet in the shelter
- Vast majority of pets remain in the home after adoption
- More positive experience for the adopter
Like most large, open-admission shelters, Miami-Dade Animal Services holds events and promotions with reduced or waived adoption fees. Dedicated Adoption Counselors use conversation-based adoption methods to educate potential adopters about the responsibilities of pet ownership. This method has been shown to be more effective than policy-based adoptions, which require background checks and often increases the time it takes to place a pet. Policy-based adoptions may also create a negative experience for potential matches.
Waiving fees is a new and innovative way to help save the lives of shelter pets. We invite you to follow our #PawsForReality campaign on our social media platforms and to visit us at the Pet Adoption and Protection Center.
- Waiving Adoption Fees at the ASPCA’s Adoption Center
- Do Policy Based Adoptions Increase the Care a Pet Receives? An Exploration of a Shift to Conversation Based Adoptions at One Shelter
- Outcome of Pets Adopted During a Waived-Fee Adoption Event: Maddie’s Matchmaker Adoptathon
- Reduced Fee Adoptions: Why They Work