The Department of Solid Waste Management has experienced an increase in operational and personnel costs associated with service delivery. An increase in customer fees is proposed in order to maintain the same level of service. A solid waste fee increase of $20 per year, about $1.67 per month, has been proposed for homeowners receiving full service. A fee increase ranging from $5 to $15 a year, depending upon the level of service received, has been proposed for non-full service customers.
What you get in return
- The same, reliable garbage and recycling services you have come to expect
- Resources to address illegal dumping
- Automated notification of your bulky waste pickup and waste/recycling cart orders
- Cleaner neighborhoods and communities through department-sponsored programs such as "Let's Clean Things Up"
Without the fee increase
- Garbage pick up would move to once-per-week instead of twice-per-week
- Four of the 13 Trash and Recycling Centers would close and the rest would be open four days a week instead of seven
- Curbside Christmas tree pick up would no longer be available
- Bulky waste pick ups would have a longer turnaround time
Resources and additional information
- Flyer on the increase in English, Spanish or Creole
- 2019 proposed non-ad valorem notification in English, Spanish or Creole
- Waste non-ad valorem assessment in English, Spanish or Creole
learn more about Solid Waste Services available to you