Recycling for Businesses
Business owners in Miami-Dade County must provide a recycling program for their employees and tenants, using the services of a permitted hauler or private recycling hauler. Your current waste hauler may also provide recycling services.
The County will provide technical assistance to help your business comply with the recycling law.
Establish a Program
Establish a recycling program that includes at least 3 items from this list:
- High-grade office paper
- Mixed paper
- Corrugated cardboard
- Scrap production metals
Select a permitted hauler or call a private recycling vendor to have your recyclable materials.
Design your Recycling Program
- Appoint a recycling coordinator.
- Select which materials to recycle.
- Identify the types of containers you need, how many and where to place them.
- Create a central location for collecting and hauling recyclables.
- Educate employees on the benefits of recycling.
Modified Recycling Programs
Because not all businesses are alike, you can request to be approved for a "modified" recycling program. Call the Department first, and complete the Modified Recycling Program Form.
There are four modified program options:
- Collect your recyclables and take them directly to a recycler for sale and processing.
- Substitute recyclable materials not included on our list, as long as your suggested materials comprise a greater portion of your waste than any of the materials listed. Keep receipts to substantiate recycling activity.
- Recycle less than the 3 materials required, as long as the recyclable materials you don’t recycle comprise less than 5 percent of your waste.
- Hire a permitted private hauler to collect recyclable materials at your establishment and separate them at a permitted materials recovery facility.
At times, one of four modified recycling programs can be created.
- Guidelines and application to create a modified recycling program
Businesses that don't comply with creating a recycling program could be fined. Fines range from $300 to $950 based on the square footage of the commercial establishment and can be assessed daily until compliance is met.
Regulation & Compliance
Setting up a Program
Modified Recycling Program