Light Bill Assistance
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program helps low-income individuals and families who are unable to pay their utility bill.
Assistance is provided in three categories: regular energy, crisis energy or weather-related crisis.
You will receive a credit toward your utility bill.
How to Apply
Complete an application. You can apply in person at a Community Resource Center or mail to our office.
You may get a one-time credit up to $300 paid on your light bill if you qualify for the program. In a crisis, the credit may be up to $600.
To qualify for help, you must meet the eligibility requirements.
- You must reside in Miami-Dade County.
- Submit the original and photo copy of energy bill.
- Photocopy of Social Security Cards for all household members.
- Photocopy of identification (Driver's License or FL ID or Voter Registration Card).
- Proof of Income. Submit one of the following:
- Photocopy of proof of income for every household member for the past month.
- Proof of Income: consecutive pay stubs (4-pay stubs), bi-weekly (2-pay stubs) if paid monthly (1-month pay stub) or letter from employer on company letterhead indicating gross income for the past month or current income tax return.
- Income Award Letter(s): SSA, SSI, VA, Pension, Welfare/TANF, Child Support/Alimony, Self Employed Income or Financial Support from friends or relatives.
- Income self-declaration form provided at our office.
- Proof of Assistance: Food Stamps, Weatherization Assistance Program or Community Service Block Grant Program.
You must also meet poverty level income guidelines in order to qualify.
The program helps over 50,000 households annually.
Types of Assistance
There are three categories, which includes:
Regular Energy Assistance: designed to assist eligible applicants with the ever increasing cost of your home energy expense. A credit ranging from $150 - $300 will be applied towards your account. Restricted to one year and must continue paying utility bill while waiting for the credit towards your account.
Crisis Energy Assistance: provides assistance to eligible households in resolving a home energy emergency/crisis with a disconnection or final notice. A credit ranging from $600 is applied towards your account. You can apply twice per year and have received a final notice or disconnection of services.
Weather Related Crisis: assists eligible households to resolve a home energy caused by a specific weather related disaster as declared by the Florida Governor.