The 2018 Open Enrollment Guide (1.8 MB) provides highlights of benefits and health plans available to you as an eligible employee of Miami-Dade County.
If you are absent from work due to your own medical condition, disability Insurance will replace a portion of your income. Benefits are paid at 60% of the employee’s base annual salary up to a maximum amount. You pay the full cost of coverage through post-tax payroll deductions.
To estimate the biweekly premium cost for the disability options, use the Benefits Calculator.
Payment of disability benefits under all plan options are subject to medical review and approval by the disability insurance carrier. For more information on the County’s Disability plans, please refer to the Benefits Handbook (2.3 MB).
Short Term Disability (STD)
Employees may elect:
- The STD Low Option plan (maximum benefit of $500 per week) or
- The STD High Option plan (maximum benefit of $1,000 per week).
How it works
When you go out on STD, apply for STD to start on the first day of medical absence, no matter how much sick leave you have accrued.
There is a 14 calendar day elimination period before STD benefits can be paid. During this elimination period, you must exhaust all accrued sick leave. Any accrued sick leave remaining after the elimination period must also be exhausted before STD benefits are paid. Annual leave will also be exhausted, unless you actively request that it not be used.
Long Term Disability (LTD)
Long Term Disability insurance replaces a portion of your income when you are absent from work more than 180 consecutive calendar days due to your own medical condition.
You may elect
- The LTD Low Option plan (maximum monthly benefit of $2,000 per month)
- The LTD High Option plan (maximum monthly benefit of $4,000 per month), or
- The LTD Premier plan, which provides income replacement at 66 2/3% of your base salary, to a maximum of $7,000, should you be absent from work due to your own medical condition for a period greater than 90 consecutive calendar days.
An employee electing either of the STD plans may not elect the LTD Premier plan, because the 90-day elimination period under the LTD Premier plan overlaps the STD period of 180 days.
Disability Claim Forms