Welcome to the Opioid Addiction Task Force
Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez in partnership with the State Attorney Katherine Fernandez-Rundle, the Department of Children and Families, the Florida Department of Health and Miami-Dade County's Board of County Commissioners Chairman Bovo, founded the Opioid Addiction Task Force--charged with developing an effective action plan that addresses the reduction of opioid and heroin addiction, prevents overdose deaths and improves the quality of life in our community.
This Task Force seeks to combat the epidemic utilizing every tool and resource at its disposal. We will engage the community to identify best practices in deterring new users, and addressing holistic and comprehensive care to those struggling with opioid abuse. The Task Force will also look at healthcare solutions, the role of the justice system in opioid prevention, and will raise awareness and knowledge of misuse.
Addiction is a dangerous, non-discriminating disease. Miami-Dade County needs a complete and collaborative approach to move past overdose deaths and combat this epidemic.
The second meeting took place on July 31, 2018 from 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. at the Stephen P. Clark Center, Room 18-3-4.
Opioid Addiction Task Force - January 30, 2017 Meeting
The Opioid Addictions Task Force held its first meeting on Monday, January 30, 2017 at the Stephen P. Clark Center, Commissioner's Chambers.
Opioid Task Force Members
- Howard Rosen, State Attorney's Office
- Dr. Patricia Ares-Romero, Jackson Health System
- Carlos Martinez, Public Defenders
- Chief Delma K. Noel-Pratt, Miami-Dade Police
- Major William Washa, Miami-Dade County Association of Chiefs of Police
- Commander Nicole Davis, City of Miami Police
- Lucia Davis-Raiford, Miami-Dade County Community Action and Human Services
- Yamile Diaz Conte, Department of Children and Families Behavioral Health Division
- Betty Hernandez, Outpatient Mental Health Services
- Annie Neasman, Federal Qualified Health Centers
- Lillian Rivera, County Health Department
- Sally Heyman, Miami-Dade County Commissioner
- Chief Rowan Taylor, Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue
- Maurice Kemp, Miami-Dade County Deputy Mayor
- Judge Jeri B. Cohen, Judicial System
- Dr. Jose Szapocznik, University of Miami
- Tomas Guilarte, Florida International University
- Keon Hardemon, City of Miami Commissioner
- Ronald L. Book, Homeless Trust
- Emilio Vento, Additions Services Board
- John Schmidt, Community Member
- Dr. Emma Lew, Miami-Dade Medical Examiner Director
- Representative Bryan Avila, State Legislator
- Hugo Barrera, HIDTA (Federal)
- Dr. F. Javier Ruiz, Dade County Americal Medical Association