Hobby Breeder License
Hobby breeder licenses are issued by the Animal Services Department. A hobby breeder is a person or entity that is an active member of a national, state, or local breeder organization that houses or breeds dogs or cats in or on the property of a private residence for the purpose of: "Improving the breed; exhibiting dogs or cats at shows operated by a national, state, or local breeder organization; or raising service animals or animals used for law enforcement or other types of work.
A hobby breeder may sell two litters of puppies or kittens per year per household, as long as the total number of dogs kept on the premises does not constitute a kennel as defined in this section. A hobby breeder that sells more than two litters per year per household shall be deemed to be a pet dealer." If the applicant does not meet the criteria for a hobby breeder as outlined in the ordinance, the applicant will not be granted a license to sell puppies.
Eligibility & Requirements
Interested parties should contact us to request a license application packet. Upon receipt of your request, an Animal Services Investigator will contact you to schedule an informative meeting detailing the application process.
If you sell pets, they must be microchipped and registered to the new owner and must be sold with an original official certificate of veterinary inspection (Sec. 5-10).
Kennel owners must present evidence that their business is legal, including:
- Corporate documents,
- Federal identification number from the IRS,
- Certificate of Occupancy (Miami-Dade County and / or municipality)
- Business tax receipt (Miami-Dade County and / or the municipality)
- Applicant's location must be zoned or approved for that use by Chapter 33 of the Miami-Dade County Code or by the applicable municipal zoning code.
- Proof of affiliation with a national, state, or local breeder organization on the license application.
The cost for the hobby breeder license is $150.00 annually.
Payment is accepted by cash, check (made payable to Animal Services Department) or credit card (American Express not accepted.)
Regulation & Compliance