EASY Pay Frequently Asked Questions
What is EASY Pay?
EASY Pay is a smartphone application developed in partnership by Cubic and Passport, a national leader in mobile payment technology. It’s a state-of-the-art technology that lets you purchase tickets for buses and trains within the Miami-Dade Transit system.
What are the benefits of using EASY Pay?
- No need for paper tickets.
- No need to carry cash, count exact change, or find a ticket vending machine.
- Store tickets for future use.
- Pay a single fare or multiple fares.
- Buy tickets on your phone anytime anywhere.
Does it cost extra to use EASY Pay?
No, the app is free to download and use. The only cost is what you pay for your tickets or passes. No service or handling fee is added to the cost of the tickets or passes.
Do you have to have a smart phone to use EASY Pay?
Yes. You must have a phone or tablet that is capable of accessing the internet in order to activate and process your ticket purchase.
How does EASY Pay work?
Just open the app and follow these simple steps:
- Click “Buy Tickets” (currently, there is only the option for a 1-Day Pass).
- Choose a quantity. You can buy multiple tickets to use later (however, there is a maximum of ten (10) per transaction).
- Click “Add to Cart.”
- Select payment method: Pay with either Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
- Choose the option “Use ticket(s) now,” or save for future use.
- Click “Pay Now” and confirm purchase.
How do I download the app to get started?
Go to either the App Store (for iPhone) or Google Play (for Android) and search for “EASY Pay Miami.” Download the app and then follow the instructions prompted on your phone.
Which phones and operating systems are supported?
You can download the EASY Pay app on iPhones running an operating system of iOS 8.1 or above, and Android phones running an operating system of 4.2.2 or above.
Before downloading the latest operating system, be sure to check the description on the app store for supported versions. Jail-broken and rooted phones are not supported.
What if the app is unresponsive?
Try logging out of the app and logging back in you can also try to power off and then on your phone. If you continue to experience technical difficulties, navigate to the “Help” tab in the app, or go to the Help Desk form online and submit a request for assistance.
If my employer subsidizes part of my transit cost, can I still use the app?
You may be able to receive reimbursement by providing your employer with a receipt of your ticket purchases, but you should check with your employer first.
Can I transfer my tickets if I get a new phone?
Yes. However, only registered users can transfer un-used tickets between devices. You will just need to log in with your account on your new phone.
What if my battery dies?
You are responsible for showing proof of valid fare to Metrobus operators, fare inspectors, or other authorized personnel. If your battery is not charged, you will not be able to show your mobile ticket.
How do I reset my password?
Navigate to the “Help” tab in the app, go to the “My Account” setting and you will find a prompt to change your password.
Do I need a credit card to use the app?
Yes. You must have a valid credit or debit card to purchase tickets using EASY Pay.
- Which credit cards do you accept? We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
- How do I add a debit or credit card to my account? Adding a debit or credit card can be done while making a purchase or by navigating to “Payment” in the menu. Click “Add Card” to enter details and “Add Card” again to make the addition.
- Can I store more than one card? Yes. You can add another card while making a purchase and tapping the “Add New Card” button when prompted for payment options. You can store up to three credit cards on your account.
- Where is my personal information and credit card information stored? All personal and credit card information is stored as tokenized data on a securely encrypted Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) compliant server. No account information is stored within the application.
- How quickly is the payment processed? Once the payment is authorized, it is processed immediately. A receipt will be emailed to you shortly after.
- What if my credit/debit card is declined? Make sure you have the correct bank card details registered in the app exactly as they appear on your card and billing statement; such as billing address, zip code, and three-digit security code on the back. Other common errors (and reasons for a card being declined) include: Entering a period after the middle initial, including the apartment number in the Address Line 1 field (instead of Address Line 2), and incorrect billing address. If everything is correct, contact your bank for further information. Transactions showing as “pending” on your bank statements have not been processed and are typically removed within two business days. Your credit card will not be charged for these transactions.
Will I have to create an account to purchase a ticket?
- Can I purchase more than one ticket at a time? Yes. You can purchase more than one ticket at a time, with a maximum of ten (10) per transaction
- Can I buy tickets for family members? Yes. You can purchase and activate multiple tickets at one time. On the active ticket screen there will be a dot at the bottom center of the screen for each ticket. Swipe left or right to present multiple tickets to the operator.
- Do I need a wireless connection to buy tickets or use tickets? You will need a network data connection or wireless internet connection to purchase tickets.
- Can I purchase a 1-Month Pass with the app? Not at this time. Is there a limit for purchases? No. However only 10 tickets can be purchased in a single transaction.
- Can I set up automatic purchases? No. You will have to purchase tickets or passes every time you need them. However, you may purchase multiple tickets at one time for future use. Unused tickets will not expire.
When should I activate my tickets?
You can activate your ticket when you see your transportation arriving. Your ticket must be activated before boarding a vehicle.
- What happens if my phone is offline? You can use tickets that are already active if your phone is offline; however, you cannot activate a ticket offline.
- Can I get a refund if I lose my device or purchase the wrong ticket? No. All purchases are non-refundable.
- Does a mobile ticket expire? Yes. A mobile ticket can expire. Each ticket has a clear date and countdown timer to let you know it is still valid and when it will expire. Once the ticket expires it moves into your Rider History. The expiration date and time is displayed on the top of your ticket. If your ticket expires and turns “grey” you may remain on the vehicle to complete your trip, but you may not board another vehicle until you buy or activate another ticket.
- What if the ticket expires before I can use it? In the event that your activated ticket expires before you can use it, you would be required to purchase another ticket for your trip. In order to avoid this happening, we recommend waiting to activate your ticket until you see your transportation approaching.
- Can I use multiple tickets at the same time for myself and my family or friends? Yes. There will be a dots at the bottom center of the screen. Each dot indicates a ticket. To use multiple tickets, simply swipe to show all of them to the operator.
Can I use the app to plan my trip?
Yes. EASY Pay has features that let you enter your starting and ending destinations in order to get trip information.
Note: Several other U.S. cities also use the Passport program, so make sure you are in the EASY Pay app before purchasing tickets or passes or using the trip-planning feature.
How does the EASY Pay app know my current location? EASY Pay uses the GPS location feature on your smart phone or tablet. You must allow it to access that feature for the real-time information to function.
Where can I use the mobile transit tickets?
You can use your mobile device to show your ticket while boarding any of the Metrobuses. There will be one gate at each Metrorail Station that accepts EASY Pay fare tickets from your mobile device.
- How do I show the ticket and when do I use it? If an inspector or operator asks to see your ticket, click on “Active Tickets.”
- Will a bus operator or fare inspector show me how to use the app? Bus operators and other personnel are instructed not to touch a customer’s device. Please use the “Help” feature in the app for further information.
- What if my screen is unreadable? If your ticket cannot be read or displayed, it is not valid.