Mosquito Tips and Resources
Miami-Dade County has a sub-tropical environment and is home to 48 species of mosquitoes. However, a few create sufficient annoyance and some can also transmit diseases such as West Nile Virus, dengue fever, encephalitis, malaria, chikungunya, Zika and dog heartworm.
Since its creation in 1935, the goal of Miami-Dade County's Mosquito Control Division is to control the mosquito population using the most effective methods, techniques, equipment and insecticides, thus enhancing the quality of life for all residents and reducing the possibility of mosquito-transmitted disease.
- Drain and Cover
- Mosquito 101
- Reduce mosquitoes at construction sites
- Mosquito bite protection
- Bromeliads and mosquitoes
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention travel information
- WPBT Channel 2's YSF: Mosquito Season 2017 - Fighting Zika episode from June 15, 2017
- WPBT Channel 2's Issues episode from July 1, 2016
Children, parents, teachers and volunteers can learn about protecting themselves from mosquitoes through educational activities.
2016 Zika response timeline video