Home > Fire Rescue > Hurricane Guide > After a Hurricane
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez and the Office of Emergency Management urges residents to adhere to the following post-hurricane tips:
  • Staying Safe

    • Continue to monitor your radio, television, miamidade.gov and social media for up-to-date emergency information.
    • Obey all curfew and emergency orders when issued.
    • Do not drive or walk through standing water. It may be much deeper than you realize and there may be hidden hazards.
    • Remain inside until local authorities say it is safe to go outside. If you must go outside, watch for fallen objects, debris on the road and downed electrical wires.
    • To report a downed power line call FPL at 1-800-4-OUTAGE or 1-800-468-8243. Do not call 911 to report downed power lines.
  • Waste Disposal

    • Be patient and careful. Cleaning up after a storm can take time.
    • When clearing storm debris, use a broom instead of a hose to conserve water. Sweep and bag debris so it doesn't clog storm drains and cause sewage overflows.
    • Place debris piles on the right-of-way, away from fences, mailboxes, storm drains, manholes and low-hanging wires. Don't place debris on vacant lots, farmland or in front of commercial properties.
    • If you live in an area where residential and commercial uses are co-located (such as plant nurseries), keep residential and commercial debris in separate piles.
    • If your property isn't near a public right-of-way, or if you live in a gated community, do not move debris to the nearest right-of-way until instructed by government officials.
    • Report lost or damaged garbage or recycling carts for replacement by calling 311.
  • Water Safety

    Following a storm, if flooding is affecting the interior of your property, report it by calling 311. If you have broken or leaking pipes, call the Water and Sewer Department at 305-274-9272.

    Boil Water Orders

    In the unlikely event that a precautionary boil water order is initiated after a storm, the Florida Department of Health in Miami-Dade County advises that the water used to drink, cook with, brush teeth, make ice or wash dishes is boiled prior to use. The water should be brought to a full rolling boil for at least one minute.

    There is no issue with using the water to shower, providing you do not have open wounds. In the event you cannot boil the water, use regular, household, unscented chlorine bleach to disinfect the water. Use eight drops of bleach per gallon of water, stir and let stand for 30 minutes.

    If the water appears cloudy, repeat the process and it is now ready to be used. Another option is to use water disinfectant tablets, which can be found where sporting or camping supplies are sold. You can also pour water pour through a fresh coffee filter until the cloudiness is gone.

    If you don't receive your water from Miami-Dade County, monitor the status of your drinking water from your municipal utility provider.

  • Transportation

    • If a power line falls across your car while you are driving, continue to drive away from the line. If the engine stalls, do not turn off the ignition. Stay in your car and wait for emergency personnel. Do not allow anyone other than emergency personnel to approach your vehicle.
    • Power outages are common during storms. When traffic signals are malfunctioning, make sure to observe 4-way stop conditions at all intersections. Call 311 to report damaged traffic signs, signals or street lights.
    • Expressway tolls may be lifted to ease traffic flow.
  • Permitting and Inspections

    To schedule an inspection or to check the status of your previously scheduled inspection, please check our routes and results page.

    Watch out for unlicensed contractors. Here are some tips about hiring a contractor.

    Process for restoring electric power after damage to service entrance

    The County is made aware of the volume of customers who are without power through reports of power outages and use of their digital meters. If FPL is not able to reconnect your home or business due to damage to your service mast or meter can, you will be asked to hire a licensed electrical contractor to first make repairs.

    The contractor must be state or locally certified, and must file for an electrical permit before or immediately after the work is complete. The contractor can notify FPL directly when the work is complete so that the power can be re-connected. Look up contractor licensing information.

  • Swimming Pool Barriers

    After a hurricane, if your swimming pool barrier has fallen or is damaged, you must repair or replace it as a priority. A swimming pool poses a life safety threat even if it is empty.

    Until you can replace or repair your pool barrier, a temporary contractor safety mesh may be erected. You can buy temporary mesh at local home improvement stores.

    Also, if your swimming pool is not functioning normally, add chlorine on a regular basis to avoid excessive growth of algae and mosquito breeding conditions.

  • Consumer Fraud and Price Gouging

    If a state of emergency is declared by the Governor of Florida or Miami-Dade County Mayor, price gouging regulations come into effect.

    Price gouging is considered an "unconscionable price," determined by comparing the price asked during an emergency with what was charged for the same commodity during the preceding 30-day period.

    To report price gouging, call the Florida Office of the Attorney General at 1-866-966-7226.

  • FEMA and Other Federal Assistance

    FEMA Assistance
    Residents impacted by hurricanes may register for FEMA assistance at DisasterAssistance.gov, through the FEMA mobile application or by calling 1-800-621-3362 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.

    Applicants will need the following to apply:

    • Social Security number
    • Daytime telephone number
    • Current mailing address, address and ZIP code of the damaged property, and private insurance information, if available.

311 Contact Center

Remember: 911 is for emergencies only.

Call 311
 for questions regarding County services and information, and to report problems like price gouging, and downed traffic signs, signals or street lights.

About Us

The Office of Emergency Management plans and prepares for emergencies by coordinating activities with County departments, municipalities, non-profit social service and medical care agencies, businesses, residents and visitors by educating about preparedness, coordinating emergency response and recovery, and delivering emergency information.