Projects that Protect
- For every dollar invested it is estimated you save $4 in potential losses.
- May protect your loved ones, homes and businesses from harm.
- Helps a community recover more quickly from a disaster.
How We Help Local Communities with Mitigation
Miami-Dade Office of Emergency Management runs the Local Mitigation Strategy (LMS) Workgroup that meets quarterly.
- Provide updates and information on mitigation topics through meetings and email
- Maintains and updates the Local Mitigation Strategy plan that is approved by the Federal
- Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Maintains a list of projects that may become eligible for mitigation or other grant funding
- Coordinates with local communities that participate in the Community Rating System program to save people money on flood insurance
- Coordinates with the State and FEMA after a disaster to get federal funding to help communities rebuild stronger
How Can You Mitigate?
Make a plan
- Assess your risks to determine what you/your residence may be vulnerable to (e.g flooding, storm surge from hurricanes, high winds, power outages)
- Buy insurance to help protect yourself financially if a disaster hits
- Protect your windows and doors from high winds (e.g. storm shutters, impact windows/doors)
- Have tie down straps installed in your roof
- If you do need to evacuate know where you plan to go, how you will get there and what you need to take.
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes offers tips on how to Protect your Home and How to Be Prepared.
- For more information or to ask questions please email email@example.com or call 305-468-5400 and ask for the Mitigation Planner.
Next LMS Quarterly Meeting
June 20, 2018
9:30 - 11:30 am
Coral Gables Museum - Fewell Gallery
285 Aragon Avenue
Coral Gables, FL 33134
All Working Group Members and the public are welcome to attend.
Future Quarterly Meetings:
September 19, 2018 (webinar)
December 12, 2018 (in person)