Affordable Homeownership Program
If you are looking for assistance in obtaining financing as a first-time homebuyer and you qualify under CDBG, HOME, SHIP or Surtax income guidelines, you may apply for a mortgage loan subsidy through the County's loan program.
Public Housing and Community Development will work with you and local mortgage lenders to provide a low-interest second and/or a third mortgage (of between 0-6 percent) using the appropriate source of funds to bring your out of pocket costs to an affordable level.
Program participation is limited to one time only per family. A maximum 30-year fixed-interest mortgage is available for persons who qualify. You will also be required to obtain a first mortgage from an approved participating lender.
For more information please contact 786-469-2192 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Qualify
In general, individual or families who do not own a home at the time of application can qualify. To be eligible you must: have an income not exceeding the limits; have been employed in the same line of work for at least 24 months; have a good, established credit history and be approved for credit by a participating lender; and be either a U.S. Citizen, or have obtained legal permanent residency immigration status.
Program Guidelines and Requirements
Miami-Dade County implements a wide range of housing programs designed to enhance housing opportunities for low- and moderate-income, individuals and families who are legal residents of Miami-Dade County (County). Pursuant to these Affordable Housing and Homeownership Program Guidelines, assistance may be provided to developers, community development corporations, individuals and families in an array of programs encompassing acquisition, construction, rehabilitation, reconstruction, and permanent financing in the form of mortgage assistance, including soft second mortgages.
- There is a minimum down payment requirement of 3 percent. One percent must be from the borrower's own funds.
- USHUD for Section 8 Homeownership Demonstration Program requires 3 percent of the purchase price, of which 1 percent of the purchase price must be from the borrower’s own funds.
- Infill Housing Initiative requires 1 percent of the purchase price from the borrower’s own funds.
The maximum monthly payment, including your house payment and all of your outstanding debts (including installment loans, revolving credit cards, and child care expenses), can not exceed 45% of your gross monthly income.
After you have obtained an executed sales contract, the developer will provide you with contact information for an appointment with one of our Finance Advisors.
The following is a list of documents that you are required to bring at the time of your appointment with staff:
- Fully executed sales contract with at least 60 days remaining before expiring
- Two years signed and dated Income tax Returns and W-2’s with all applicable Schedules
- If applicable: Award letters for all other income: Social Security pension/retirement/SSI/welfare/disability
- If applicable: Pay stub for the last 30 days if VOE has not been obtained. (Evidence of VOE Request by Lender)
- Proof of legal residence: Resident Alien Card, INS Employment Authorization, I-94 (Cuban Citizens only). *Please Note: Documents must be current at the time of application and show proof of Dade County resident
- Picture ID (i.e., Driver License, Employment ID, etc) and Social Security Cards of all household members
- Most current six months bank statement for all accounts
- Birth Certificate(s) for all household members, Letter from guardianship/adoption (if applicable) and/or School Records
- If applicable: Divorce Decree and Property Settlement Agreement; Proof of receipt of child support for the prior 12 consecutive months; Provide proof of non-receipt and "good faith" effort to collect and avoid inclusion in annual income figure
- If applicable: Third Party Verification of Regular Cash Contribution Letter for non-court ordered child support; If the applicant is not receiving court-ordered child support, a letter from the Department of Revenue, Child Support Enforcement Office is required
- If applicable: Alternative credit letters of verification from the following utilities: Bellsouth, FPL, Auto/Life Insurance, Furniture – Only if the borrower has limited credit or no established credit
- Certificate of Completion of Homebuyers Training Program. See the list of Homebuyer Education and Counseling Services providers.
2019 Income and Mortgage LimitsPHCD’s Homebuyer Program is open to families and individuals who earn from 30% up to 140% of area median income (AMI). Household income must not exceed the income limits listed in the chart.
Income and Mortgage Limits for FY 2019 Adjusted for Family Size Family Size Extremely Low Income 30% of AMI Very Low Income 50% of AMI Low Income 80% of AMI Median 100% 120% of AMI 140% of AMI 1 $17,800 $29,650 $47,450 $59,300 $71,160 $83,020 2 $20,350 $33,900 $54,200 $67,800 $81,360 $94,920 3 $22,900 $38,150 $61,000 $76,300 $91,560 $106,820 4 $25,750 $42,350 $67,750 $84,700 $101,640 $118,580 5 $30,170 $45,750 $73,200 $91,500 $109,800 $128,100 6 $34,590 $49,150 $78,600 $98,300 $117,960 $137,620 7 $39,010 $52,550 $84,050 $105,100 $126,120 $147,140 8 $43,430 $55,950 $89,450 $111,900 $134,280 $156,660
Area Median Income is $54,900 for Miami-Dade County. The Area Median Income (AMI) is an income figure used to help determine eligibility for affordable housing programs. The AMI is the midpoint of a region’s income distribution – half of families in a region earn more than the median and half earn less than the median. The AMI is calculated on an annual basis by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Effective 4-24-2019.
Note: SHIP limited to 140%
The following types of homes may be purchased upon approval by the County:
- Single-family detached homes
The property must be in an area designated for residential housing. It must be occupied by the mortgagor(s) as his/her principal residence. It must have an expected economic life of not less than 30 years, and not provide a source of income to the mortgagor(s) (you cannot rent the property).
Properties purchased under the program must be located in an approved County-funded development.
Homebuyer Loan Program
The Homebuyer Loan Program (HLP) was created in 2015 to assist qualified individuals and families in the purchase of a primary residence. The HLP is intended to encourage homeownership as a foundation for financial independence and prosperity for young professionals and college graduates as well as low- and moderate-income families in Miami Dade County. For more information, call Shawn Topps at 786-469-2209.
Section 8 Homeownership Program for Housing Choice Voucher Recipients
The Miami-Dade Housing Choice Voucher Homeownership is a voluntary program designed to permit eligible Housing Choice Voucher recipients to purchase a home using the voucher subsidy.
The goal of the program is to provide homeownership opportunities, along with counseling, self-sufficiency, training and support, thereby facilitating economic opportunity within communities while providing parameters to ensure the success of the homebuyer.
If you would like to be added to the Interest List in the Homeownership Program for future consideration, please call 305-403-3222 and request to be placed on the Homeownership Program Interest List. Please be sure to provide:
- your name
- HCV Client Identification Number
- telephone number
- mailing address
You will be notified when you are eligible to attend a future Information Session.
Housing-related vendors, developers, and real estate owners who would like to provide services (i.e., mortgage lenders, HUD-approved housing counseling agencies, title companies, real estate attorneys, certified independent home inspectors, real estate agents, insurance agents) should also call 305-403-3222 and request to be placed on the Homeownership Program Vendor Interest List. Please include:
- your name
- email address
- company name
- mailing address
- telephone number
- the type of service(s) your company provides
Notification of future Information Sessions for vendors will be sent to you.