For-Hire Chauffeur License
In order to drive a for-hire vehicle on any street in Miami-Dade County, you must first obtain a chauffeur’s registration as defined by Chapter 31 Article II of the Miami-Dade County Code. For-hire vehicles include taxicabs, limousines, passenger motor carriers, jitneys, non-emergency vehicles, special transportation services vehicles and private school buses. The minimum age to drive a for-hire vehicle is 18 years.
For-hire chauffeurs in Miami-Dade County are licensed and regulated to assure the passengers, as well as others utilizing the streets of Miami-Dade County, that the chauffeurs are competent to provide such service.
How to Apply
Submit a complete Chauffeur Registration Initial / Renewal Application along with the following documents:
- Proof that you have the right to work in the United States. This could be your Social Security Card, U.S. Passport, original certified U.S. Birth Certificate, original Certificate of Naturalization, valid Work Authorization Card or your Permanent Resident Card.
- Valid State of Florida Driver’s License
- Old Chauffeur’s Registration (renewal applicants only)
- First Aid Certification (School Bus applicants only)
- Defensive Driving Certification (original applicants or renewal applicants with two or more moving violations within the last two years)
- Certificate of training in Passenger Assistance Techniques (PAT) for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (if applicable).
- All Chauffeurs and Private School Bus operators transporting more than 15 passengers (including driver), must have a CDL License with “P” endorsement
- State of Florida Concealed Weapons Permit (If Applicable)
- For STS drivers only, a FDOT Medical Examination Certificate
All initial applicants are required to attend a Transportation and Public Works Training Program prior to the issuance of the registration.
Renewal applicants, with the exception of school bus drivers, are required to attend training every two years. Applicants must also submit a physical examination and must be sponsored by a licensed for-hire company prior to applying for the registration.
For new and renewal applicants who are required to attend the Transportation and Public Works training courses, the process may take between one and six weeks depending on the type of registration that is being applied for.
- See the schedule of training sessions
A renewal applicant who does not need to attend training may obtain the registration the same day he/she applies, provided the applicant complies with all requirements of the Code.
Chauffeur’s registrations are valid for one or two years. They expire on the driver’s birthday. Chauffeurs are encouraged to file their renewal applications between 60-90 days prior to the expiration date.
- Initial and Annual Renewal Chauffeur Registration $ 55.00
- Late Fee for Renewal of Chauffeur Registration after expiration date (in addition to Renewal Fee) $ 55.00
- Replacement of Chauffeur Registration $ 26.00
- New Taxicab Chauffeur Training Program $ 135.00
- New Limousine Chauffeur Training Program $ 70.00
- New Private School Bus Training Program $ 30.00
- Training Examination Retake Fee $ 15.00
Cash will not be accepted. Fees can be paid by check, money order or cashiers check made payable to the Miami-Dade County Department of Transportation and Public Works. If renewing in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (Mastercard or Visa).
Regulation & Compliance
Mail / Email
TNE Licenses, Passenger Transportation Regulatory Division
Department of Transportation and Public Works
601 NW 1st Ct., 18th Floor
Miami FL 33136