Jitney Certificate of Transportation
Chapter 31, Article III of the Miami-Dade County Code requires anyone wishing to provide passenger motor carrier services to first obtain a certificate of transportation. Passenger motor carrier service is generally prearranged transportation using vehicles with a seating capacity of between 9 and 28 passengers, not including the driver. Passenger motor carrier vehicles are vans and minibuses.
Passenger motor carrier services in Miami-Dade County are licensed and regulated to assure the passengers, as well as others utilizing the streets of Miami-Dade County, that the vehicles are fit and their operators and chauffeurs are competent to provide such service.
How to Apply
Jitney operators are required to obtain a Passenger Motor Carrier Certificate of Transportation. A map of the proposed jitney route must be submitted with the application. All proposed jitney routes must be evaluated and approved by the Metrobus Division.
It is strongly recommended that you meet with department transit planners to review any proposed route prior to submitting a Passenger Motor Carrier Certificate of Transportation application for jitney service.
The application is reviewed for compliance with the regulations of the Code of Miami-Dade County which requires, among other things, that the applicant pass a background check which will include review of the applicant’s financial and criminal record history. The approval process is approximately one month from the time of application.
- Certificate Application Fee $375.00
- Annual Certificate Fee $625.00
- Initial and Annual Renewal Operating Permit Fee $625.00
- Replacement Certificate of Operating Permit $35.00
- Modification of Certificate $320.00
- Certificate Transfer Application $375.00
- Emergency Temporary Certificate $40.00
Initial Certificate and operating permit fees shall be prorated according to the number of months remaining between the month of the date of issuance and the month of annual renewal.
Vehicle Inspection Fees
- New vehicle inspection $70.00
- Quarterly, semi-annual or annual vehicle inspection, as applicable (all categories) $38.00
- Vehicle Re-Inspection (safety) $35.00
- Vehicle Re-Inspection (non-safety) $20.00
- Replacement Decal $35.00
For-Hire Chauffeur Fees:
- Initial and Annual Renewal Chauffeur Registration $55.00
- Late Fee for Renewal of Chauffeur Registration after expiration date (in addition to Renewal Fee) $55.00
- Replacement of Chauffeur Registration $26.00
- New Private School Bus Training Program $30.00
- Training Examination Retake Fee $15.00
Cash is not accepted. Fees can be paid by check, money order or cashiers check made payable to the Miami-Dade County Department of Transportation and Public Works. If renewing in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (Mastercard, Visa or American Express).
Certificates are valid for one year. The Passenger Motor Carrier (PMC) Certificate of Transportation cycle runs from April 1 to March 31 of the following year. Certificate renewal forms are mailed to the operator a minimum of 60 days prior to the expiration of the certificate.
Additional Business Requirements
A Local Business Tax issued by Miami-Dade County is required. Depending on the company location, a municipal license may also be required. Prior to beginning operations, vehicles must obtain valid inspection and operating permit decals issued by the Vehicle Inspection Station. Driver must have a valid chauffeur registration.
Decorative/advertising decals or complete wrapping of one or more windows are prohibited on vehicles regulated under the various for-hire and other transportation related ordinances under its purview.
Regulation & Compliance