Police Legal Bureau
9105 NW 25th St.
Doral, FL 33172
Commander: Janet Lewis
The Police Legal Bureau (PLB) provides in-house legal counsel to the Director and the Department. The Bureau ensures that the Department stays advised of current legal issues, statutory changes and case law of particular significance to law enforcement.
Additionally, the Bureau:
- Prosecutes state civil forfeiture actions and administers the federal asset forfeiture program
- Reviews discipline documents and internal investigations
- Assists in the drafting, lobbying and passage of new laws and legislative amendments that promote law enforcement objectives
- Provides legal review regarding, and legislatively administers via the Miami-Dade County Board of County Commissioners, Memoranda of Understanding, Mutual Aid Agreements and other contracts with its law enforcement partner agencies and jurisdictions as well as with private entities
- Provides training to the Department
- Provides written and oral legal opinions
- Publishes legal notes and legal bulletins regarding important statutory revisions and court decisions
- Coordinates discovery and other civil litigation related matters with the County Attorney's Office
- Manages the Department's Diversion and Community Service Program
- Prosecutes all of the Department's civil citations
- Manages the Nuisance Abatement Unit
- Edits the Florida Law Enforcement Handbook
Learn about the Nuisance Abatement Ordinance.
Miami-Dade Police DepartmentAlfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III
Fred Taylor Miami-Dade Police Headquarters
9105 NW 25th Street, Doral, FL 33172