Special Assessment Districts
The Special Assessment Districts (formerly known as Special Taxing Districts) Division is responsible through Chapter 18 of the Code of Miami-Dade County for the creation, management and operation of special taxing districts. Currently, there are over 1,000 active districts comprised of approximately 271,000 households in unincorporated and municipal neighborhoods throughout Miami-Dade County. These districts provide a wide array of services such as street lighting, security guards, guardhouses, multi-purpose maintenance, and capital improvement projects.
These districts are petitioned for and voted on by the homeowners within the area or created by developers at the inception of a development project. These services are beyond those traditionally provided by County government and are billed to property owners as non-ad valorem assessments included in their annual property tax bill. By creating these districts, communities have the opportunity to make improvements in the public areas of their neighborhoods which could not be conveniently done otherwise.
Pursuant to Ordinance 19-18, the Special Assessment Districts Division is in the process of converting the special tax lighting districts from high pressure sodium (HPS) light fixtures to light-emitting diode (LED) light fixtures. This program will be performed in four phases. This project is expected to be completed by 2021.
- Phase 1 consists of 56 districts totaling 18,088 lights.
- This phase is currently being converted and is expected to be completed by December 2019.
- Phase 2 is anticipated to consist of 86 districts totaling approximately 8,435 lights.
- This phase is currently undergoing review and design.
- Phase 3 and 4 will commence once the prior phases are completed
- Ordinance 19-22 – Establishing procedures for converting street light fixtures from HPS to LED.
- Ordinance 19-18 – Sellers are required to disclose to buyers that real property is located within a special taxing district.
- Ordinance 16-14 – Authorizing municipalities to act as the governing body for existing special taxing districts.
FY 20/21 Proposed Special Assessment
FY 20-21 Proposed Special Assessment Virtual Townhall Meeting taking place on July 15, 2020 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. can be accessed either by:
Join by Telephone
US : 877 853 5247 (Toll Free) or 888 788 0099 (Toll Free)
Webinar ID: 961 6338 5492
Special Assessment Districts Division
Email / Mail
- General Information
Stephen P. Clark Center
111 NW 1 Street
Miami, FL 33128
Locations and Hours