The towing industry in Miami-Dade is licensed and regulated by Miami-Dade County.
Licensing and regulatory program covers among other things, vehicle safety standards, insurance requirements, and background checks on business owners.
The program encompasses several consumer protection measures:
- Establish maximum towing rates (Tarifas máximas de los remolques sin consentimiento Propiedad Privada)
- Prohibit cash only policies
- Require the express authorization of a property owner or agent prior to towing a vehicle
- Require Tow-Away Zone signs to be prominently posted
- Provide additional protections for consumers who have been towed
How to Apply
Any person(s) or corporation that operates a towing business in Miami-Dade County must apply Monday through Friday (except holidays) 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Initial applicants must apply in person.
Bring with you:
- Completed Towing Business Initial Renewal Application
- Copy of current, permanent Local Business Tax
- Certificate of Occupancy (only applies to non-consent towers)
- Written business agreement authorizing parking of tow truck(s) (only applies to consent towers)
- Articles of Incorporation/Fictitious Name Registration
- Certificate of insurance (type and amounts of insurance as required by Section 30-465 of the Miami-Dade County Code)
- Description of management plan
- Description of services (only applies to non-consent towers)
- Towing and storage rates (only applies to non-consent towers)
Applicants must complete a criminal background check ($24.00) as part of the application process. Information regarding these requirements will be provided when the application is submitted.
Once the application and background check are complete, an enforcement officer will inspect the truck(s) to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Miami-Dade County Code. A decal will be placed on the windshield of the truck(s) when it passes inspection which authorizes its use as a towing vehicle.
If the application process is not completed within 60 days from the date that the application was filed with Miami-Dade County, the application will be considered abandoned and closed and a new application and fee will be required.
Change of Ownership
In the event of a change in ownership of a towing business, a new application and fee is required.
Changes in any material aspect of the towing business shall be provided to Miami-Dade County in writing along with proof of the change and the required fee, if replacement of the license is required, within 30 days of the change.
- Annual Fee: $395.00
- Decal Fee: $90.00
- Each Additional Vehicle Fee: $150.00
- Background Check Fee: $24.00
Cash will not be accepted. The non-refundable fees can be paid by check, money order or cashier’s check made payable to Miami-Dade County. If applying in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (Amex, MasterCard and Visa are accepted).
Regulation & Compliance
Mail / Email
- Email Licensing Section
Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources
601 NW 1 Ct
Miami FL 33136
Locations and Hours
Consumer Protection601 NW 1st Court, Miami, FL 33136
Monday8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.Tuesday8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.Wednesday8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.Thursday8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.Friday8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.