Limousine Service License
Miami-Dade County regulates for-hire limousines on a countywide basis under Chapter 31, Article VI of the County Code. Limousines are not equipped with meters and are dispatched from one central business location. Service must be pre-arranged a minimum of one hour in advance of the transportation to be provided.
Limousine categories are luxury sedan, stretch, super-stretch, antique, ancient and collectible. The drivers must have a for-hire chauffeur registration, and the vehicles must be inspected.
All entities providing limousine service are required to have a for-hire license and each vehicle must have an operating permit.
How to Apply
Luxury sedan service is not an open entry category. If you wish to provide this type of service you can purchase a license from an existing license holder or you may contact the holders of the original luxury sedan licenses who are authorized to lease their licenses. The Miami-Dade County Code prescribes that For-Hire Limousine Licenses are issued only to companies whose place of business is located in Miami-Dade County, Broward County or Palm Beach County, Florida.
The Limousine For Hire License Application is reviewed for compliance with the regulations of the Miami-Dade County Code which requires, among other things, that the applicant passes a background check including scrutiny of his/her financial and criminal history. This process typically takes two to four weeks depending on how complete is the application is at time of submission.
- Initial License Application $ 350.00
- Initial and Annual Renewal License (Initial license fees shall be prorated according to the number of months remaining between the month of date of license issuance and the month of annual renewal.
- Effective October 1, 2005 $ 575.00
- Effective October 1, 2006 $ 625.00
- Late fee for Renewal of license after expiration date (in addition to renewal fee) $ 550.00
- Lottery Entry $ 100.00
- Replacement of License $ 35.00
- License Holder to License Holder
- Transfer Application $ 170.00
- License Holder to Non-License Holder
- Transfer Application $ 350.00
Cash will not be accepted. Fees can be paid by check, money order or cashiers check made payable to the Miami-Dade County Department of Transportation and Public Works. If renewing in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (Mastercard or Visa).
Licenses are valid for one year. The For-Hire Limousine License cycle runs from May 1st to April 30th of the following year. License renewal forms are mailed to the operator a minimum of 60 days prior to the expiration of the licenses.
Additional Business Requirements
- You will need a Local Business Tax issued by Miami-Dade County.
- Depending on where the company is located, you may also need a municipal license.
- Furthermore, prior to beginning operations, vehicles must obtain valid inspection and operating permit decals issued by the Vehicle Inspection Station.
- Drivers of these vehicles must each have a valid chauffeur registration.
See Industry Notices
Limousine Advisory Group
The Limousine Advisory Group (LAG) provides input on various issues relating to the limousine industry. LAG is comprised of consumer and industry representatives, transportation-related interests, municipalities and public interest organizations. Duties include developing, implementing and evaluating new innovative services, service expansion and improvements.
In order to provide for-hire limousine services you must first obtain a for-hire limousine license.
Limousine service is prearranged luxury transportation using luxury sedan vehicles, stretched vehicles and antique, ancient and collectible vehicles. For-hire transportation in Miami-Dade County is licensed and regulated to assure the passengers, as well as others utilizing the streets of Miami-Dade, that the vehicles are fit and their operators and chauffeurs are competent to provide such service.