Become a Junior Lifeguard
The Junior Lifeguard Program provides quality education and increased self-confidence, physical conditioning and ocean awareness through instruction in water safety, first aid, beach ecology and surf rescue techniques.
The program can also improve their understanding and respect for the environment, as well as their respect for themselves, their parents and their peers.
A graduation and awards ceremony concludes each session.
Due to the popularity of this program, there will be an enrollment limit of 30 students based on a performance test, per beach, per session.
How to Enroll
Registration takes place the day of the tryouts. Registration packets may be picked up early. Parents must complete the registration form and waiver provided at the tryouts or located at Lifeguard Headquarters.
To pay the program fee, checks are to be made payable to: Miami-Dade Fire Rescue - Memo: MDFR / Jr. Lifeguard Program
- Applicants must be ages 9-17.
- Proof of age (birth certificate) must be presented at tryouts.
- All junior lifeguard applicants must pass a swimming proficiency test. To pass, you must:
- Swim at least 100 yards with a steady stroke without stopping in under two minutes.
- Swim 30 feet underwater without stopping.
- Tread water for three minutes.