The Underline is a public-private partnership between the Department of Transportation and Public Works (DTPW), the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces (PROS) Department, and Friends of the Underline.
The Underline will transform 120 acres of Miami-Dade County owned land below the existing Metrorail guideway, from the Miami River (Brickell area) to the Dadeland South Metrorail Station, into a world-class, multimodal urban trail. Once completed, The Underline will provide a walkable and bikeable corridor that will improve connectivity between surrounding neighborhoods.
The Underline will be built in eight phases. Each segment of The Underline will demonstrate Miami-Dade County’s commitment to improving and enhancing connectivity. Construction of Phase 1 - The Brickell Backyard is scheduled to start in spring 2019.
Once all phases are completed, this project will be Miami-Dade County’s first true mobility corridor uniting all modes of transportation enhancing accessibility to eight Metrorail stations within its path and the neighboring communities. The Underline will serve 107,000 residents within a 10-minute walk, will provide access to public transportation to one University and 24 schools, two hospitals, three urgent care facilities, four major malls and over 10,000 businesses.
The 10-mile corridor, which will vary from 70 to 170 feet wide, will provide pedestrian and bicycle paths, improvements to over 30 intersections, access to public transportation, lighting and wayfinding. In addition to the transportation components, recreational features will include butterfly gardens, playgrounds, exercise equipment, basketball and volleyball courts, soccer fields, picnic areas, dog parks and more.
Phase 1 - Brickell Backyard
This is the initial construction phase of The Underline project. This phase consists of a half mile long segment below the Metrorail guideway between the Brickell Metrorail station and the Miami River.
- New dedicated pedestrian and bicycle trails
- Improvement of three signalized intersections
- Reconfiguration of bus bays and bus patron seating areas
- Native vegetation landscaping
- Way finding signage
- New lighting
- A gym area with a flexible basketball court, gym equipment, and space for group classes
- A staging area reserved for concerts, movies, yoga and other group activities
- A dining area
- A game area with fixed tables and chairs
Construction of Phase 1 started in December 2018 and it’s scheduled to be completed by the end of June 2020 (18 months).
For safety, a construction fence has been erected between SW 1st Court and SW 1st Avenue, from SW 9th Street to SW 10th Street providing for a 5’ sidewalk for access by pedestrians and transit riders.
The work scheduleCurrently:
- Pedestrians are being routed with Longitudinal Channeling Devices (LCDs) to the roadway of SW 1st Court, where the new edge of pavement will be, once construction is completed. This area will then be tapered back to the bus bay area. In addition, the bus bay was shortened, and bus stops were relocated a little further north.
- Fencing on SW 1st Court will be extended to 11th Street, and pedestrians will be detoured to the sidewalk on the west side of SW 1st Court.
- Fencing also will be extended on SW 1st Avenue, now from 10th to 11 Street. Bus riders will still have access to bus shelters on SW 1st Avenue near the Brickell Metrorail station.
- The east-west sidewalk, between SW 1st Court and SW 1st Avenue and south of the Brickell Metrorail station, will be eliminated.
- Switch fencing to construct the outer portion of the block between SW 9th and 10th streets. Pedestrians will be routed to the new sidewalk on the west side of the block. This phase will last approximately one month (scheduled to be completed the week of August 5th).
Week of August 5th
- At this time, the contractor is scheduled to build the area in front of the Brickell Metrorail station. To ensure access to the Metrorail station, the sidewalks and plaza will be rebuilt in two sections. This phase will last approximately one week (scheduled to be completed the week of August 12th).
All scheduled dates are approximate and are subject to change due to weather conditions and/or unforeseen circumstances.
The hours of construction will vary but typically will be between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Pardon our dust
Metrobus and trolley bays will be relocated near their current location during certain times of the project’s construction. Information and signage will be posted prior to any construction that may affect the bus or trolley bays.
The Metrorail and Metromover stations will remain open and access will be provided. We will provide signage indicating changes to the entrances, if required.
The contractor is making every effort to provide a small area designated for dogs every two blocks. Please be sure to clean up after you dog when done! Thank you.
Your patience is appreciated as Miami-Dade County and Friends of The Underline work to transform the underutilized land below Miami’s Metrorail system into a 10-mile linear park, world-class urban trail and living art destination that will also serve as an anchor for smart development.
The construction cost for Phase 1 – The Brickell Backyard is $14 Million. The estimated total cost is $110 Million for the entire 10-mile project.
The funding sources will vary throughout the project (full 10 miles). The funding sources for Phase 1 are: City of Miami, Road Impact Fees, General Obligation Bond (GOB), Miami-Dade County Capital Outlay Reserve Funds, Transportation Alternatives Program Funding and State Appropriations.
For project information, please visit the Friends of the Underline webpage.For any issues regarding the construction of The Underline contact Karla Damian at 786-469-5420.
The Underline Management Organization 501C3 will manage and maintain The Underline after construction is completed.
The half-mile Brickell Backyard will feature several amenities such as landscaping with native vegetation, a community soundstage, a dining area, a game area with fixed tables and chairs, an outdoor gym with a flex basketball court, a dog friendly area, way finding signage, lighting, cultural and educational programs, butterfly gardens, a café, bike parking and crosswalks. These features will be accessible to bus, trolley, Metromover and Metrorail patrons, as well as visitors and residents.
The Underline Management Organization is envisioning cultural and educational programs and events for the Brickell Backyard.
The Brickell Backyard phase of The Underline will have a dog friendly area. Dogs will be required to be on leashes. Dog parks are being planned along several segments of The Underline. Dog parks will vary in size based on available areas.
Security for The Underline will be provided by the Management Organization.
All crossings will be improved. This is a vital component of the project in order to improve safety for pedestrians and bicyclists. There will be three intersections that will receive new traffic signals with pedestrian lead intervals in order to enhance street crossings. In addition, the new markings for the crossings will be enhanced with The Underline’s design elements.For additional project information, please visit the Friends of the Underline webpage or the project’s webpage.