Safety Tips: Snakes and Snake Bites
What to do following a snake bite:
- Remain calm.
- Immediately call 911.
- Immobilize the bitten area.
- Keep affected area at or below the heart.
- Limit victim's movements.
- Remove all jewelry (i.e. rings, bracelets, watch, etc.), restrictive clothing and any constricting items before swelling occurs.
- Safely try to observe snake's identifying traits (i.e. colors, patterns and size).
- Don't use a tourniquet.
- Don't drink or apply alcohol.
- Don't cut or suck the wound.
- Don't apply ice.
- Don't attempt to kill the snake.
- Don't touch/handle a dead snake.
Emergency Contact Numbers
Florida Poison Information Center Network: 800-222-1222
Fire RescueRaied “Ray” Jadallah
R. David Paulison Fire Rescue Headquarters
9300 NW 41st Street, Miami, FL 33178-2414